Immigration & Naturalization


Advocating for immigrants since 1982

roger scott law head-shot.jpg

Roger Scott


Immigration laws and requirements are complex and constantly changing. The threats and risks to the undocumented are substantial and growing. I am an Immigration attorney, licensed since 1982. My practice is exclusively devoted to helping individuals and families obtain legal status in the United States, and to assisting the most vulnerable of those seeking legal status. Realizing the life-changing importance of acquiring United States citizenship, I will give personal and professional attention to your case and your particular needs. My rates are reasonable, my office client-friendly. 

Se habla español.




1400 N. Dutton Ave., Suite 21 Santa Rosa, California 95401

office: (707) 526-8857 cell: (707) 548-9806





family-based petitions (peticiones para familiares inmediatos)

These are visa petitions filed by U.S. citizens (USC) or by Legal Permanent Residents (LPR) on behalf of their immediate relatives (spouses, parents, children, siblings). For spouses, parents and children of USCs, an approved Petition makes a visa number immediately available and greatly shortens the process for obtaining a visa and entering the U.S.

victims of crime/domestic violence (las victimas de la crimen/violencia domestica)

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) created two ways for victims of various crimes (including domestic violence) to obtain lawful status leading to citizenship:

  1. The U Visa: The U Visa is available to a victim of certain crimes (including domestic violence), who has information regarding the incident, and who is, was, or likely will be, helpful to the investigation or prosecution of that crime. The beneficiaries of this Petition can include some family members (both inside and outside the U.S.). If approved, the U Visa entitles the petitioner to lawful status (for 4 years), with eligibility to apply for Legal Permanent Resident status after 3 years.

  2. Self-Petition: A victim of domestic abuse by a spouse, parent, or child who is USC or LPR can self-petition for an immigrant visa. This avoids the necessity of the abuser petitioning on behalf of the victim. Likewise, the parent of a child abused by that parent's USC or LPR  spouse can also self-petition. If the abusive person is a USC, the victim may apply for LPR status concurrent with the filing of the self-petition.

Entitlements common to both the U Visa and the VAWA self-petition are:

  • Employment authorization;

  • Driver license;

  • Social Security card;

  • Various public benefits;

  • With either Petition, the United States Citizenship And Immigration Services (USCIS) is able to pardon nearly all immigration violations and grounds of inadmissibility. If approved, the applicant will not be required to leave the U.S. for consular processing.

consular processing (proceso consular)

Previously, a beneficiary of an approved family-based visa petition, who had been in the U.S. unlawfully, was required to return to the home country Consulate office in order to obtain the visa. Once there, the visa might have been denied because of the applicant's prior unlawful presence, or for some other reason. It would then have been required to file an Application for Waiver of Ground of Inadmissibility, which if granted (not guaranteed) would enable entry into the US. As of 03/04/13, an Application For Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver can now be filed while remaining in the US. If granted, the applicant would then only need to return to the home country in order to pick up the visa.

application for permanent residence (aplicacion para la residencia permanente)

If you are in the U.S. legally, and an immigrant visa number is immediately available to you based upon an approved immigrant petition, we can help you apply to change your status to that of Legal Permanent Resident. Also, as the spouse or child of a principle applicant, we can also apply for your LPR status. 

spousal and fiance visas (visas para conyuge y proetidio/a)

The K-1 and K-3 visas allow for the spouse or fiancé of a U.S. citizen to enter the U.S. more quickly than via the traditional immigrant visa route, and then to remain in the U.S. while completing the immigration process.

Naturalization (Naturalización): 

If you have been a Legal Permanent Resident for the required time, we can help you obtain United States citizenship.



Let's Chat!

I know that finding the right attorney to represent you is a choice not to be taken lightly. That's why I offer affordable rates, and will explain to you in detail the work, documents and money needed for your case, and I will assist you at every step of the process.

Use the form below to tell me about your legal inquiry, and I will contact you as soon as possible--usually within one day. Please be as detailed as possible, and reference any persons who are included in your inquiry--i.e., spouse,children, parents and/or siblings.

Name *
Please do not include confidential or sensitive information in your message. In the event that I am representing a party with opposing interests to your own, I may have a duty to disclose any information you provide to our client.